Taking care of bees is more of a problem that we often think. The weather this past year seems to be a problem. I decided to do an emergency feed today.
I have two different spacers, the one on the bottom left spacer was made for putting mite treatments between the brood boxes and only spaces about 5/8ths of an inch, the top right is for feeding and spaces the inner cover above the top of the frames about 1 1/2 inches. There probably isn’t a need for two spacers but that’s just the way I built them.
I hope there isn’t a problem here, I don’t normally feed sugar water in the winter but it is because of the potential to freeze, here I think the problem was that the sugar water kept coming out but the bees weren’t eating it so sugar water actually became a problem in the hive.
With the this hive I feel pretty good about it, bees are on top, if the inner cover is off bees should be there, if not your hive is weak.
This hive probably won’t make it through the winter, this year I had some substantial losses with bees.
The spacer goes on top, food patties on the top of the frames.
Inner cover on top and then the outer cover above it.
Below are pictures of something I haven’t tried before, it has to be warm enough for the bees to fly to it and it has to be kept out of the dew and weather. Got some pollen substitute and put it in my shed in a pot, the wood in the pot is so they can clean themselves off before they leave, hopefully it works. If it works well I will set up a better way to feed the dry protein in the shed for the future.